A Tale of Two Worlds

“Some wine ?”, inquired the younger woman. 
“Oh no, thank you. I prefer tea, with lot of sugar.”, the older woman replied, with a girlish chuckle.
The younger woman stared for an instant into the pitcher, poured herself a generous amount of wine and walked around the table and continued the conversation, “You’re saying there is nothing you could do then ? I thought you were the special ones from where you come from.”
The older woman, who was admiring the deliberate steps and the play of sunlight on the golden blond braids of the younger woman, replied, “My dear, being better than most doesn’t make one almighty. Don’t smirk, you have no idea what I’d do to change things. But my hands are tied. Joanne has seen to it.” 
The younger woman narrowed her eyes and said, “Well at least my fate is not yet written I guess. So tell me, what exactly do you want me to do ? We will have to be quick, I don’t trust George one bit.”
“It’s simple. Joanne is currently trying to ruin her own good work by painting people with a completely different brush. I shudder to think what she’s got in store for me. Not that she’s been any kind to me in the past. All you need to do is to play your part to perfection and show Joanne how much people appreciate an original character. I want you to blow her away with your originality. She should never ever try and change anything after seeing you..” 
The younger woman quietly sipped her wine. She took a deep breath and said, “I can’t promise anything. But I’ll do my best.” 
The older woman sighed and got up with difficulty from her seat, for her short legs barely reached the floor. “That’s farewell then.  Here is all the gold our, er, organisation has to offer.”
The younger woman got up from her chair, took the bag of gold and and said, “Don't worry. I always pay my debts. Farewell, Dolores.” 
“Goodbye, Cersei.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"எதுக்கு பயப்படணும் ?"

சென்னையில் ஒரு மழைக்காலம் (Monsoon in Chennai)

A generation that dared to dream