The Infection


It all started with what looked like a small insect bite. I was having a hectic day in university and totally ignored a slight uncomfortable feeling just above the upper lip. By evening, it was a noticeable little red patch that looked like bed-bug bite. Hoping it to subside overnight, I just went to sleep.
By next day, my lip was swollen and I felt feverish. Since I had an important deadline coming up, I decided to stop being sick by being awesome (Pfff) and went ahead with the day. But by afternoon, even my Barney Stinson-ish unwavering optimism couldn't stop my head pounding with pain and rising temperature. I noticed that my face looked like a cross between Sharad Pawar and Vernon Dursley, decided it best to return home. I believed 'it is just getting worse before getting better' and decided to let it heal overnight (bad bad decision).

When I could hardly get out of bed next morning and saw that the swelling was nowhere near subsiding, decided it was time to go to hospital. Noticing that the infection was in a critical place and spreading fast, the doctors instantly put me on antibiotic injections and admitted me. It was my first (and hopefully last) experience as an in-patient. Gladly, they arrested the infection from spreading further, but then had to perform a surgery on the face and inner lip to remove the infection.
I remembered Ogden Nash's lines: Some pains are physical, and some pains are mental, but the one that's both is dental. This weird bacterial nervous infection I had was surely not dental, but the pain was perhaps more pronounced than whatever Nash experienced. Having injections and operating wounds on weird places on the face and lip was surely not the way I had hoped to spend that particular weekend, not to mention the intravenous antibiotics that totally incapacitated my arms.

After five long tiring days, I was allowed to return home to continue with oral medications and a week's rest. There is still a bit of nervous contraction near the right eye, after-effects of the whole experience. With proper care and medicines, it should be alright in couple of weeks.
The reason for this infection is still not very clear, doctors just said stuff like 'imbalance of microbes in the body'. All I learnt is this:
An infection is a strange association of some microbial secretion and it has an affection towards a particular condition. Though it is not impossible to find a solution to this irritation, the emotion, commotion and confusion one goes through to understand the initiation of the whole situation, oh God, why this creation ?!
PS: Any suggestion ?!

Comments

fuse me said…
A slight Rajni flavor (probably TR also) to the ending of the blog.

But its nice that you can see the funny side of everything. Nicely written. And get well completely
Nambi said…
Good to know that you are feeling better now.
Bel said…
So glad you are better now.. I was sick the whole of last week . I know what a pain it is to recover!!

Popular posts from this blog

"எதுக்கு பயப்படணும் ?"

சென்னையில் ஒரு மழைக்காலம் (Monsoon in Chennai)

A generation that dared to dream