Leaving our footprints


Happy New Year everyone. My hearty wishes and prayers for the coming days to bring us the best of everything.

It was fun time at New Year midnight in Stockholm, standing in the city-centre in spite of a heavy snowfall and watching the fireworks with friends. After all that fun, it was an amazing experience to walk home on fresh snow with stray fireworks illuminating the sky at random.
I noticed the very distinct footprints I left on snow and started thinking:

'Nice. Ooh, are my tracks straight ? Perhaps too straight for someone to think an army person walked by ? Ok, should I make it a bit zig-zag so that it appears natural ? No, people may think these are a drunken guy's tracks. Lemme stop and look back how my tracks are. Aargh, it shows that I stopped here and turned back. Damn, people will think I carefully orchestred my tracks....'

Why was I so concerned about my foot-prints on snow ? Come another snowfall, those tracks will vanish. But how about impressions that last forever, the impact we have on a person's life ? Are we careful about the implications of our words and actions ? Do we weigh our words, do we really think before we act ? We all know that circumspection is important, how about introspection ?

This questionnaire set me thinking about some lasting impacts people have on my life. I started recollecting numerous instances, people and their actions which changed things for good. Some of them were so deep that they completely changed my outlook towards certain aspects of life; some gestures which meant a lot when it really mattered, some words which kept me going during trying times and some actions which are the very reason I am whatever I am today.

We all have the power to influence lives in a strong and positive way. It's not necessary to be in a certain position or status to make a difference, it's the intention and timing that really matters. If we can channel our energies in spreading good thoughts around, make a difference in some little aspect of a person's life and help someone without expecting anything in return, we are already on track in making this planet a beautiful place to live in.

What goes around comes around, so let us send only good things around and keep walking forward. Some day when we stop and look back, our tracks will be deep, permanent and beautifully meaningful.

Comments

Shiniga said…
a very happy new year Arun. Hope your trip was wonderful. I didn't get to see any pics yet. And hope you leave a wonderful footprint in life that will be followed by zillions.
Hari said…
nice thoughts!..
Christy said…
One of the best blogs that I have ever read .

Have a wonderful year ahead.

You will go places (Quite literally !! )

Popular posts from this blog

"எதுக்கு பயப்படணும் ?"

சென்னையில் ஒரு மழைக்காலம் (Monsoon in Chennai)

A generation that dared to dream